These savory Cheddar Bacon Pancakes are quick and easy to make. You need just 9 ingredients. The pancakes are sweetened with maple syrup because bacon and maple syrup is always a good fit.
How to make Cheddar Bacon Pancakes
First, start by preparing the bacon for the pancakes batter. Therefore cook the bacon until crispy. I prefer thick-cut bacon but you can use any bacon you like. Chop the bacon into ¼-inch (0.5cm) pieces.
Prepare the pancakes batter by combining flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and make a well. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, and maple syrup just until combined. Pour the liquid ingredients and melted butter into the center of the well.
Then beginning in the center, start whisking until all ingredients are well combined and no lumps remain. Add the cooked bacon and cheddar and whisk just to combine. Don't overmix the batter at any time.
Cook in a skillet and serve. You will end up with about 8 pancakes, depending on the size. You can either use ¼ cup, ⅓ cup, or ½ cup of batter for each pancake. I prefer lightly smaller pancakes and therefore go most of the time with ¼ cup of batter per pancake.
Toppings for savory pancakes
My favorite toppings for these savory pancakes are sour cream, leek, crispy cooked bacon, and cheddar. If you want to add more sweetness to your pancakes, you can top them with maple syrup. Maple syrup fits the crispy bacon beautifully.
If you try this Cheddar Bacon Pancakes recipe leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #alsothecrumbsplease on Instagram! Would love to see your snap!
You will also love
Cheddar Bacon Pancakes
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled (210g)
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk (300ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (45ml)
- 2 tbsp butter melted (28g)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar (60g)
- butter for the skillet
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crispy. Chop into ¼-inch (0.5cm) pieces and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and maple syrup until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the milk mixture and the melted butter. Beginning in the center, whisk continuously until smooth, and no lumps remain. Add cooked bacon and cheddar and whisk to incorporate.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add about 1 tsp of butter. When the butter is melted, scoop ¼ - ½ cup (60ml-120ml), depending on your preference, of pancakes batter into the pan and cook until small bubbles form on the surface, about 1-2 minutes. Then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat until you are running out of batter.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.