Let's celebrate with this festive cupcakes recipe! Red and white marshmallow buttercream frosting what is beyond creamy and delicious on top of super soft blue vanilla cupcakes with lots of red, white & blue sprinkles in it. Watch the video to see how to pipe a two-colored frosting!
Around this holiday, it feels like everything is colored in red, white & blue. So let's bring some colors into your kitchen and on your family table with this festive recipe. The best thing is that they are very easy to make that you have more time for celebrating.
These cupcakes are soft, moist, and super delicious. The recipe is so easy to make as well.
Just combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Then mix an egg with sugar until creamy. Add vegetable oil and vanilla and stir to combine. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
Then color with navy blue until you reach the blue color of the US flag. Stir in sprinkles to combine. I used different kinds of red, white & blue sprinkles.
Do you want to go just with white star sprinkles? Absolutely fine. Use the sprinkles you like the most. But be sure to use sprinkles that don't dissolve completely throughout baking.
After filling the batter into cupcake liners sprinkle additional sprinkles on top. Especially around the edges because these are still visible after frosting the tops.
Although normal buttercream frosting is delicious, marshmallow buttercream frosting is my favorite frosting. The texture and taste are outstanding.
The texture is super creamy but firm enough to beautifully pipe roses, swirls, or any shape you want. It holds its stand for days but literally melts away in your mouth.
The amount of the frosting is enough to frost 15-16 cupcakes thickly. I don't know how about you but I love to have a very high swirl of frosting on top of my cupcakes, you know what I'm saying?
After making the frosting, divide in half and color one half with red until you reach the red color of the US flag. Then place the white and red frosting on a piece of plastic wrap next to each other and roll it up.
Then place the plastic roll into a piping or ziplock bag and pipe on top of the cupcakes. Watch the video below for better understanding. Sprinkle with even more red, white & blue sprinkles or nonpareils.
Easy 4th of July Cupcakes Recipe
Blue vanilla cupcakes
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour (135g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 5/8 cup granulated white sugar (125g)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (120ml)
- 2 vanilla beans* (or 2tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (120ml)
- navy blue gel or paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup red, white & blue sprinkles (100g)
Red and white marshmallow buttercream frosting
- 3/4 cup butter (170g)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240g)
- 7 oz marshmallow cream (200g)
- pinch of salt
- red gel or paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners (this recipe yields about 15-16 cupcakes). Set aside.
- Cupcakes: Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to combine. Set aside. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat egg and sugar until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add oil and vanilla* and mix on low speed until combined. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter and mix on low speed just until combined. Begin and end with dry ingredients. Add as much navy blue food coloring until you reach a dark and intense blue like on the US flag. Stir until evenly colored. Add sprinkles and stir to combine. Spoon batter with an ice cream scoop into the liners and fill maximum 2/3 that your cupcakes don't sink or spill over the sides. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick centered in the middle comes out clean. I baked mine 18 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before frosting.
- Frosting: Beat butter on medium-high speed until soft and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar and beat on medium-low speed until fully combined and smooth. Add marshmallow cream and a pinch of salt and mix on medium speed until combined and creamy. Divide in half and dye one half with red until it reaches the red color of the US flag.
- Assemble: Place red and white frosting next to each other on a plastic wrap and roll to close. Place in a piping or ziplock bag and pipe frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with additional red, white, and blue sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.