Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Learn how to make vegan chocolate chip cookies from scratch with step-by-step photo instructions and a video. The texture is beyond amazing, and they are easy to make. You can add any mix-ins you like and make the vegan cookies of your dreams. It's my go-to recipe when I bake for my vegan friends and family.
Servings: 16 cookies
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoon water
- ½ cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel for about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the brown and white sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the flax mixture and beat to combine. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and add half of it to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the chocolate and mix until incorporated and evenly distributed. Scoop balls of dough, about 2 tablespoon (50-55g) of dough for each cookie, and place them 2 to 3-inches (5-7.5cm) apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Bake one baking sheet at a time for 8 minutes and then remove it from the oven and tap the baking sheet against the counter 1-2 times to deflate the cookies. Then bake them for 1-2 minutes and deflate the cookies again. Continue baking for 1-2 minutes or until the edges start to lightly brown.
Let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to continue cooling. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020.
- Correctly measure the flour. I always fluff up the flour first, then spoon it lightly into the measuring cup and level it with the back of a knife without pushing it into the cup.
- Don't overbake the cookies, or they will end up dry. Especially when you bang the cookies 2x, you need to take care that you don't let them brown too much when they are for the third time in the oven. Remove them as soon as the edges are lightly browned. Depending on how hot your oven is (every oven is different), the baking time varies.
Make ahead and freezing instructions
Be aware that chilling and freezing result in completely different textures and the cookies spread less. If you make the cookies ahead of time, I recommend skipping the banging process entirely.
- Chilling: You can prepare the dough and chill it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you chill the dough longer than 4 hours, let it come to room temperature for about 30-60 minutes before scooping the dough and baking the cookies. The baking time will be about 10-12 minutes.
- Freezing: It's also possible to freeze the dough. Therefore I recommend to chill it first until it's possible to scoop the dough and roll it into balls with your hands. Then freeze the dough balls in freezer bags for up to 3 months. Let them thaw in the fridge overnight and let them come to room temperature before baking.
Banging the cookies
This 2x banging process results in flat, even, and crispy cookies. However, you can bang them only 1x or skip the banging entirely according to your preference. If you like your cookies a little thicker and chewier, then skip the banging.
Make this recipe perfect every time. So be sure to check the full post above. I included easy step-by-step photo instructions and a video to make it easy for you to replicate this recipe. I also talk about how banging affects the texture of the cookies.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 49mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg