Best Eggnog Recipe
This homemade eggnog recipe is easy to make and you need just 8 ingredients. This spiked eggnog can be easily adapted to a kid-friendly version for your whole family.
Servings: 12 servings
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅝ cup granulated white sugar
- 4 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or the seeds of 2 vanilla pods)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup dark rum
With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment whisk the egg yolks and sugar until creamy and pale for about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
Heat the milk and cinnamon in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches a boil and stir continuously.
Turn the heat down to low. Add about a ¼ cup of the hot milk to the egg yolks and whisk until combined. Pour the tempered egg yolks into the hot milk.
Cook for about 5 minutes over low heat until the mixture gets thicker. Stir consistently. Do not boil at any time.
Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Then let cool to room temperature and stir occasionally.
Mix the heavy cream with an electric mixer with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add cream and rum to the cooled milk mixture and stir with a whisk to combine. Chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours but preferably overnight. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
- Tempering the egg yolks before you add them to the hot milk prevents them from warming up too fast and makes sure your eggnog stays smooth without any egg lumps.
- While cooking, stir constantly and don't allow the mixture to boil once the egg yolks are added. If you let it boil, you will likely end up with scrambled eggs.
- Making it ahead and let it chill in the fridge overnight gives it time to develop the best possible flavor and consistency.
If you have any dairy restrictions, you can make this eggnog dairy-free. However, keep in mind the flavor and texture will be slightly different. I recommend the following three options:
- Use full-fat coconut milk in place of regular milk. Also, replace the whipped cream with coconut whipped cream.
- If you don't like the taste of coconut, replace the regular milk with almond milk and the whipped cream with vegan whipped cream.
- Use your tried and true milk and whipped cream substitute.
I prefer to use dark rum for this spiked eggnog recipe. However, you can substitute the rum for other kinds of alcohol like brandy, red wine, or bourbon if you wish to.
You can also skip the rum entirely. Simply make the recipe as directed, but leave out the rum.
Make this recipe perfect every time. So be sure to check the full post above. I included easy step-by-step photo instructions, plenty of useful tips, and variations.
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 692IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 1mg