Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Enjoy them for breakfast or dessert. Instructions for small batch or mini muffins, making them healthy, gluten-free, vegan, etc. provided. They are easy to make and call for 11 ingredients and 15 minutes of hands-on preparation time. They are super soft and moist and come with a crunchy streusel topping.
Servings: 20 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10.5 oz mashed or pureed ripe bananas (1 cup / 300g)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar (100g)
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil (120ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 vanilla beans* (2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (175g)
- 1 medium ripe banana, chopped
- ⅜ cup all-purpose flour (45g)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50g)
- 3 tablespoon cold butter, cubed (43g)
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line two 12 muffin pans with about 19-20 muffin liners. Set aside.
Make the muffins: Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk, stir mashed bananas and sugar just until combined. Slowly mix in vegetable oil just until combined. Add eggs and vanilla* and stir just until incorporated. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Don't overmix at any step. Fold in chocolate chips and banana chunks just until combined. Set aside.
Make the streusel: In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and butter and mix with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture.
Assemble: Divide batter into muffin liners and sprinkle with streusel (and a few additional chocolate chips on top if desired). Fill liners between ¾ and almost full. Look at the step-by-step photos above. You will get about 20 muffins.
Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 5 minutes then lower the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake additional 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don't overbake or your muffins will end up dry. Let cool for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
*First, cut off the straight end of the vanilla bean. Then place the tip of your sharp knife below the curled end and cut the vanilla bean through the middle of the bean lengthwise. Although you don't need to cut it all the way through, it's ok when you do so. Then open the vanilla bean and scrape out the flavorful seeds with the back of your knife. Just use the seeds.
When you want to make mini muffins, line three 24 mini muffin pans with about 55 mini muffin liners. Bake mini muffins for about 6-8 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful, they overbake very quickly because of their small size.
You could consider the following substitutions:
- vegetable/canola oil with applesauce 1:1
- ½ cup white sugar with ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- vegetable/canola oil with healthier oil like coconut 1:1 (opt in for a mild-flavored oil)
- all-purpose flour with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour 1:1
- eggs with flax eggs 1:1
For a small-batch version, divide the recipe in half.
- Read the blog post for additional information regarding freezing, storage, etc.
- Watch step-by-step photos to see the required consistency in every step.
- Watch the 1-minute video to see the whole process.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 215mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1.5mg