We made it into the first full week of February so far. I'm so happy that the temperature are rising and we are getting more sun hours per day. I already had the winter blues! I can't stay out the cold. The present weather in California would suit me much better. How about you? Which one is your favorite season? Do you like the cold weather or do you prefer the summer as I do?
Because of the cold weather I was inspired to make something that gives me that special campfire feeling. The first thing that came to my mind was: marshmallows! Like S'mores, you know? So I was thinking about how I can do something marshmallowy without getting out of the house? (Because I don't like the cold, remember?) But I didn't just want to roast some marshmallows and put them between 2 crackers with a piece of chocolate. I wanted to bake something which has this marshmallowy taste.
This Angel Food Cake was the solution for my marshmallow cravings. It's quite as simple as roasting marshmallows and has a super soft consistency. When you bite into this cake, you will be surprised how much flavor something so minimalistic can have.
Real vanilla and almond extract are responsible for the intense flavor. I used real vanilla as I always do because I prefer the taste of real vanilla instead of vanilla extract. But you can use vanilla extract as well.
The consistency of it is heavenly. I guess this was the reason for its given name. I strongly believe that this cake is a gift from angels to humans...
Although I think that I have already convinced you to make this recipe, I will point out the positives of making this recipe again:
- It has distinctive consistency. It's airy and soft as a pillow, and it's like a big marshmallow.
- Because of the usage of real vanilla and almond extract, it has super strong flavors.
- It's sooo easy to make. Especially when you have a kitchen machine, then you almost have to do nothing.
If you try this heavenly Angel Food Cake recipe leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #alsothecrumbsplease on Instagram! I MUST seeeeeee it!
The most marshmallowy Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7/8 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup egg whites room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sift flour and 7/8 cup of granulated white sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Add 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar and vanilla* and whisk for about 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Add flour and almond extract and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Pour batter into an 11-inch springform tube run with a knife through it to remove air bubbles and bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bounces back to touch.
- Take out of the oven, turn upside down and let cool for about 1 hour. Then remove from the baking form and let cool completely.
- It will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.