This baked donuts recipe is easy to make and perfect for Valentine's Day. Intense chocolaty, moist, and delicious. Step-by-step video below.
Whether you want to surprise your dear with these donuts or want to make them for your own, either way, the good news is that they are super easy to make and you don't need a long time to make them.
For the batter, you just need 2 bowls. One for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients in the first bowl and stir all wet ingredients together in the second bowl.
Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and spoon the batter into a zip-lock bag. Pipe batter into donut pan and voilá, you are done with the first step.
The glaze is prepared in no time. Just place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until combined. It is a shiny chocolate glaze that is soft to bite and dry enough to touch.
Chocolate Red Velvet Donuts Recipe
- 1 cup flour (120g)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar (100g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (22g)
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (120ml)
- 2 tbsp butter melted (30g)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 vanilla bean* (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- a few drops red food coloring (amount depending on your product - read the label)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chopped (180g)
- 4 tbsp butter (60g)
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 6-cavity donut pans. Set aside.
- Cake batter: In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk, melted butter, oil, and vanilla* just until combined. Add vinegar and red food coloring and whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Don't overmix at any step. Spoon batter into a zip-lock bag and cut one edge off. Pipe batter into prepared donut pans until cavities are about ¾ full (you will get about ten donuts). Bake for about 10-12 minutes until they bounce back to touch. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Glaze: Place chopped chocolate (I highly recommend using high-quality chocolate), butter, light corn syrup, and water in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir every 20 seconds to prevent seizing.
- Dip the tops of the cooled donuts into the glaze. Decorate as desired. They are best eaten on the same day. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.