Baking pizza from scratch in an air fryer is incredibly easy. This recipe works with either homemade pizza dough, sourdough pizza dough, and store-bought dough. All you need is dough, a good tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. The pizza turns out so great that you won't even believe it's baked in an air fryer. The crust is thick, bubbly, light, and chewy. Just like from your favorite pizzeria.
- Ingredients - Just a good tomato sauce, high-quality mozzarella and salami or pepperoni are enough to prepare a delicious homemade pizza. The great thing about this recipe is that you can make any pizza you dream of. The technique and baking method are always the same, regardless of whether you prefer tuna, sausage or just vegetables as a pizza topping.
- Skill level - Easy peasy. I actually find it easier to bake pizza in an air fryer than in the oven. The only thing to keep in mind is that the layering is different. The cheese must be on top. Otherwise, the pepperoni or similar lightweight toppings will fly around in the air fryer basket. The cheese weighs down the pepperoni and ensures that everything stays in place.
- Preheat the air fryer for 15 minutes to ensure that it's really hot. This is the key to a great pizza crust.
- Assemble the pizza in a pizza pan that fits your air fryer basket. It doesn't matter if it is square or round. My air fryer basket is big enough for an 8-inch (20cm) pizza pan. Then quickly transfer the pan to the air fryer without losing too much heat.
- If you don't want your cheese to brown too much, top the pizza with ¾ of the cheese and bake for 5-6 minutes. Then quickly sprinkle the remaining cheese over it and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
- It's easier to transfer the pizza dough to the pan with a pizza peel, but it's entirely possible to transfer it by hand.
- I prefer to stretch my dough a little larger than the size of the pan in order to have a nice high crust around the edges (as shown in the photo below).
Can I prepare it in advance?
I recommend baking the pizza right after you prepare it. However, you can prepare the pizza dough in advance and refrigerate or freeze it until you need it.
Can I reheat it?
That's a big yes! The air fryer does a great job of reheating one-day-old pizza. Just reheat it at 390°F (199°C) for about 2 minutes.
How do I store leftovers?
Leftover slices can be stored covered at room temperature, and I recommend eating them the same day. However, it's possible to store leftovers in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them the next day.
Prepare the pizza dough, divide it in half, and stretch and shape it to match the shape and size of your pizza pan.
Then transfer the pizza dough to the pan and reshape it with your fingers that it fits the size and shape of the pan. Top with tomato sauce and pepperoni.
Then top with the cheese and bake.
You just love pizza, don't you? Try some of my favorite pizza recipes that will leave you wanting more:
Recipe and Video
Air Fryer Pizza from scratch
- 1 pizza dough*
- ⅔ cups tomato sauce
- 8 slices pepperoni or salami
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 204°C for 15 minutes. Lightly sprinkle an 8-inch (20cm) pizza pan with semolina or regular flour and set aside.
- Prepare the pizza dough, divide it in half, and stretch and shape it to match the shape and size of your pizza pan. Then transfer the pizza dough to the pan and reshape it with your fingers that it fits the size and shape of the pan. Top with tomato sauce, pepperoni, and ¾ of the cheese.
- Quickly transfer the pan to the air fryer without losing too much heat. Bake at 400°F / 204°C for 3 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375°F / 191°C and bake an additional 3 minutes. Then, add the remaining cheese and bake another for 2 minutes until the cheese has melted. Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
If you don't see a video here, please check your browser settings.
Baking times can vary depending on the dough you use.
All ingredients are calculated to make two 8-inch (20cm) pizzas. I recommend preparing one pizza at a time. When the first one is in the air fryer, prepare the second.