This cake is the perfect way to celebrate Easter. Soft and moist chocolate cake stuffed with chocolate Easter eggs and frosted with a 4-ingredient chocolate marshmallow frosting.
Are you already in Easter baking mood? You should be! In three weeks, Easter is over again. Easter is after Christmas my favorite baking season. Everything is so colorful pink, green, blue, yellow, orange.
To make sure you have enough time decorating your house or enjoying the first spring days in your garden, I kept this Chocolate Easter Eggs Cake super easy. The cake is ready to bake in 10 minutes.
It couldn't be easier:
- sift together all dry ingredients
- whisk together all wet ingredients
- stir together wet and dry ingredients
- separate into two pans
- place chocolate eggs on top
- bake - cool - frost
The frosting is the creamiest on earth.
You just need 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to get this melt-in-your-mouth frosting.
- mix butter until creamy
- add powdered sugar
- add cocoa
- add marshmallow cream
Voilà, you are done. The frosting is also great for cupcakes, by the way... it is my go-to chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Easter Cake
Chocolate Easter Eggs Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose (270g)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar (250g)
- 5/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (54g)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (240ml)
- 3/4 cup oil (180ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 vanilla bean* (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup chocolate eggs of your choice (216g)
Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 cup butter (226g)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (240g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa (42g)
- 14 oz marshmallow cream (400g)
- additional chocolate eggs for decoration if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two 9" round baking or spring pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla* just until combined. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Separate batter into the two prepared baking pans equally. In each pan, place the half of the chocolate eggs on top of the batter. Cover the chocolate eggs with batter with a spoon. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don't overbake or the cake will be dry. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Mix butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and cocoa and mix until combined. Stir in marshmallow cream until fully combined.
- Spread the half of the frosting on top of the bottom cake layer. Place top layer on top and spread or pipe the remaining frosting on top. Decorate with more chocolate eggs if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.