This cake is for everyone who loves chocolate and marshmallows. Hot chocolate cake - chocolate marshmallow frosting - marshmallow filling.
This cake is a combination of super soft and moist chocolate cake layers, a dreamy creamy chocolate marshmallow frosting, and a sweet and gooey marshmallow filling.
Hot Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- ¾ cup dutch-processed cocoa (65g)
- 1 ½ cups granulated white sugar (300g)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120ml)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk (120ml)
- 1 vanilla bean* (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- ¾ cup hot cocoa, unsweetened (180ml)
- ⅔ cup butter, room temperature (150g)
- 1 ⅓ cups powdered sugar, sifted (160g)
- ¼ cup dutch-processed cocoa powder (21g)
- 7 oz marshmallow creme (200g)
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp milk, if needed
- 2 tbsp butter, soft (28g)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted (30g)
- 7 oz marshmallow creme (200g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line the bottom and the sides of two 8" (20cm) baking pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cake: In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl with a stand or a handheld mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla* just until combined. Stir in dry ingredients to combine. Slowly mix in hot cocoa until combined. The batter will be very thin. Divide batter into the two prepared baking pans equally. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don't overbake. I baked mine for 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 20 minutes. Then remove from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature.
- Frosting: In a large mixing bowl with a stand or a handheld mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter until creamy for about 1-2 minutes. Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa and mix until combined and sugar is dissolved. Add marshmallow creme and stir until smooth. Add salt to your taste. If the frosting is too firm, stir in 1-2 tbsp milk to lighten it up. Stir until creamy.
- Filling: In a medium mixing bowl with a stand or handheld mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy for about 1-2 minutes. Add marshmallow creme and stir until smooth.
- Assemble: Cut a thin layer off the tops of your cakes to create a flat surface. Then cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one cake layer on a cake stand, turner or serving plate. Spread ¼ of the chocolate frosting over the cake. The frosting should be higher around the edges that it holds the marshmallow filling inside the cake (watch the video for better understanding). Layer with ⅓ of the marshmallow filling (where the frosting is lower). Repeat two more times. Place last cake layer on top and lightly frost the outside and the sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Chill at least 3 hours in the fridge or overnight. Decorate with marshmallows or whipped cream to your preference. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
If you don't see a video here, please check your browser settings.