Air fryer hamburgers are a great way to get that burger fix without heating up your kitchen. Whether you're cooking from fresh or frozen, I'll show you how to make air-fried burgers in the comfort of your own home. The juiciest and most delicious burgers you get when you use my hamburger patties recipe. You only need 3 ingredients to make patties from scratch.
- Easy - They are the perfect weeknight meal for aspiring home cooks with little cooking experience or busy people.
- Quick - To air-fry hamburgers will save you time! You can cook the patties and the buns with only one appliance.
- Convenient - Air frying hamburgers helps you cook them to perfection without making your kitchen greasy and dirty! No need to heat up your kitchen and use multiple pans and dishes. The air fryer is easy to use and clean.
- Tasty - They are juicy, flavorful, and perfect every time! You can cook both fresh or frozen patties with this recipe.
Time and Temperature
No matter what settings your air fryer has, the only two things that really matter are time and temperature. Regardless of whether you have different pre-settings such as air frying, grilling, roasting, or baking, simply set the cooking time and temperature for your desired doneness.
Cook from fresh
I prefer 100% beef patties that are made from scratch, but you can use pre-made ones too. If you use meatloaf kinds of burgers with breadcrumbs and eggs, you will need to adjust the cooking time and temperature as they are thicker and take longer to cook. For fresh beef burgers that are about ¼ - ½ inch (0.6-1.3cm) thin, I recommend cooking them on high heat for a short time. This ensures that the juices remain in the meat.
Cook from frozen
Frozen burger patties are a great convenience food. In most cases, they're pre-made and ready to go! Burgers can be cooked in the air fryer from frozen just as easily. You just need to increase the time and decrease the temperature to make sure they're cooked evenly and aren't frozen in the middle while they're overcooked on the outside. If you prefer to thaw them first, cook them like fresh patties.
To make cheeseburgers, just place a slice of cheese on top of each patty at the last minute. If your air fryer has a tendency to blow the cheese off the patties, cook the patties first, turn the air fryer off, add the cheese, and let it melt for 1 minute. American cheese and cheddar cheese are my favorites, but you can use any cheese you like. For the classic cheeseburger, I recommend my burger sauce, which tastes just like the special sauce from In-N-Out.
How to air fry hamburger buns
I love my burgers with fluffy brioche buns, but potato buns are great too. The buns don't take long to turn brown. I usually toast them for 1 minute so they'll be warm and crispy when they're done. Since all air fryer models work differently, you need to figure out whether the cut side should be facing up or down for them to be toasted. If you want to make hamburger sliders, then use dinner rolls instead of burger buns.
Storing and reheating
- Fridge: Air-fried hamburgers can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap to prevent odors from getting into the other foods in your refrigerator. Reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F (177°C) for 1-2 minutes.
- Freezer: You can also freeze them for up to 4 months by wrapping them in plastic wrap twice and placing them in freezer bags. Reheat in the air fryer at 350°F (177°C) until they are hot, about 10 minutes.
Note: Please note that reheated burgers are not as juicy as freshly cooked ones.
Top tips for success
- Depending on what hamburgers you're making (thickness, size, ingredients) and what air fryer model you have, you may need to adjust the cooking time and temperature. I can only provide a guide on what works for my air fryer model (Instant Vortex Plus) and my burgers. I suggest cooking a test patty and from there adjusting the time and temperature to suit your needs.
- Make sure the burgers don't overlap and that they have enough place to cook without touching. This ensures that the heat can circulate and the patties cook through evenly.
More air fryer recipes to try
If you enjoy cooking and baking with your air fryer as much as I do, here are some more recipes to try:
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Banana Bread
- Air Fryer Cookies
- Air Fryer Brownies
Do you need dinner inspiration? I show you 31 things to make with ground beef!
Recipe and Video
How to Cook Air Fryer Hamburgers (Fresh and Frozen)
- oil for the air fryer basket
- 4 hamburger patties (fresh or frozen)
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- 4 burger buns
Toppings to your taste
- tomato, lettuce, onions, pickles, ketchup, mayo, etc.
- Arrange the patties in the air fryer basket and cook for 3-6 minutes to your preferred doneness, flipping halfway through. Add cheese at the last minute if desired.*
- Remove the patties from the air fryer and toast the burger buns for 1 minute until hot and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (177°C). Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil to avoid sticking.
- Place the frozen patties in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Add cheese at the last minute if desired.*
- Remove the patties, toast the buns until hot and crispy, serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy.
* If your air fryer has a tendency to blow the cheese off the patties, cook the patties first, turn the air fryer off, add the cheese, and let it melt for 1 minute.