These Strawberry Brownies will fulfill your wildest brownie dreams. Super fudgy brownies topped with homemade strawberry filling, fresh strawberries, and chocolate ganache.
This, guys, is one of my favorite recipes at all. I don’t know why I held it back for so long. These Strawberry Brownies are extremely delicious and serve all hardcore chocolate fans as well as strawberry lovers. If you are both, strike!
What are Strawberry Brownies?
Strawberry Brownies can be made in many ways. You will find pink ones, brownies with strawberries or a strawberry swirl through the batter, and you will find those where the strawberries are on top of the brownies.
I tested different versions, and I have to say that the strawberry covered version is the most delicious of all.
But I didn’t like the idea just to place some chopped strawberries on top of baked brownies, and that’s it. This is too simple. And there is also something missing. The strawberries are too much in the background when doing that.
So, these Strawberry Brownies are Brownies topped with a homemade strawberry filling, fresh strawberries and covered with a dark chocolate ganache. Doesn’t that make you drool?
How to make Strawberry Brownies?
First, start with the chocolate brownie base. This is a very easy process. You need just 1 bowl and a whisk. In a large bowl, whisk butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla to combine. Then sift in flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until combined. Spread into a baking pan and bake. You see, very easy.
After the brownies are cooled completely, make the strawberry filling. Well, this is also an easy task. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil until the strawberries are soft. Then mash or puree them and cook until it gets thicker and is reduced by 1/3.
The longer you cook the filling, the thicker it will be. Don’t overcook the filling but you don’t want to cook it too short either because then the filling is too liquid and runs down the brownies. The filling should be thick enough that it coats the back of a spoon and looks like a syrup.
Let the filling cool down for 15 minutes then spoon and spread it evenly over the brownies. Top with chopped strawberries and let chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours that it has time to thicken.
The chocolate ganache contains two ingredients. Chocolate and heavy cream. Spoon or spread chocolate ganache on top of chilled brownies and place back in the fridge for 10-15 minutes that the chocolate ganache gets firm.
Cut into 15 squares and serve.
How to freeze Strawberry Brownies?
I don’t recommend freezing Strawberry Brownies because of the strawberry layer. If you want to make the brownies ahead, that is no problem.
Just chill the brownies for about 4 hours in the fridge after they are cooled completely. Then place them with the pan in the freezer until the brownies are firm, for about 2 hours. Remove brownies from the freezer and the pan and tightly wrap in plastic foil twice. Then wrap two layers of tin foil around. Place in a large freezer bag and remove as much air as possible. They freeze well up to 2 months.
For thawing, unwrap the brownies and let come to room temperature for about 3-4 hours. Then layer with strawberry filling, strawberries, and chocolate ganache.
How long do Strawberry Brownies last?
Strawberry Brownies are best eaten on the same and the next day. Afterward, the strawberries start to lose water, and the brownies begin to get wet.
If you skip the fresh strawberries, you can store leftovers up to two days in the fridge. Store them in an airtight container.
These Strawberry Brownies are
- a chocolate and strawberry lover’s dream
- super fudgy brownies topped with strawberry filling, fresh strawberries, and chocolate ganache
- easy to make
- extremely delicious
When you are not in the mood for strawberries, think of a peanut butter layer and fresh bananas. Or blackberries. Or caramel. You get the idea.
If you make this Strawberry Brownies Recipe, leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #alsothecrumbsplease on Instagram! Would love to see your snap!
Strawberry Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled (226g)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar (200g)
- 1 cup brown sugar (200g)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 vanilla beans* (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled) (120g)
- 1 cup cocoa (spoon and leveled) (85g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups strawberries, fresh or thawed (450g)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar (200g)
- 1+1/2 tbsp cornstarch (12g)
- 1/4 cup water (60ml)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (15ml)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped (300g)
- 1 cup chocolate, semi-sweet or dark (175g)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (120ml)
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line a 9x13" baking pan with parchment paper with an overhang on the sides to easily lift the brownies out of the pan after baking. Set aside.
- Make the brownies: In a large mixing bowl stir together butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla* just until combined. Don't use an electric mixer or you have too much air pockets in the batter, and this makes the brownies cakey instead of fudgy. Stir by hand with a whisk. Sift in flour, cocoa, and salt and stir just until combined. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies don't jiggle anymore and are just set to touch. A toothpick should come out dirty. Don't overbake the brownies or they are getting cakey. Because every oven is different, set a timer to 20 minutes for the first time and check every 1-2 minutes until the brownies are done. Then write down the time the brownies needed in your oven for the next time. Maybe they are perfect at the second time you bake them. I baked mine for exactly 27 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. They will keep baking in the pan. Then carefully transfer with the paper to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make the strawberry filling: Place strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes until the strawberries are soft. Stir regularly. Mash or puree the strawberries and cook until the filling has thickened and is reduced by 1/3, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool down for 15 minutes. Spoon and spread evenly over the cooled brownies. The filling will thicken as it cools. Place chopped strawberries on top and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Make the chocolate ganache: Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place heavy cream in another heatproof bowl and microwave until very hot, almost boiling, for about 1-2 minutes. Pour heavy cream over chopped chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir until completely combined and smooth. Pour over the brownies evenly. Let dry in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 15 brownies (5x3) before serving. Brownies are best eaten fresh on the same and next day. Store in the fridge in an airtight container. For freezing instructions, read the blog post above. I recommend watching the 1-minute video as well.