Sweet self-made Condensed Milk: 2 ingredients – 1 saucepan
Today I’ll show you how to make sweetened condensed milk. You’re asking why I decided to make it on my own and not to buy it anymore? Better ask me why not! It’s quite expensive to buy it in the grocery store here in Austria. In this recipe are only used 2 ingredients – milk & sugar – and both of them are pretty cheap where I live. So this is the very first reason.
Sweet condensed milk is e.g. used in Pumpkin Pie. I’ve shown you how to make your own buttery Single Pie Crust and also your self-made Pumpkin Puree so with this recipe in your hands you can make your Pumpkin Pie completely from scratch. You are really going to impress your family and friends, and I’m so so happy for you. YAY! And this is the second reason!
This recipe is really super easy! Just combine milk and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan and cook it slowly on medium-high heat for about 1 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally. Your sweetened condensed milk is finished when it is about 1/3 – 1/2 of the volume in the first place and the back of a spoon is coated. Store it an airtight glass in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
You MUST try this recipe, because
- you only need 2 ingredients
- you just have to stir occasionally
- you save money
- you can be proud to make your Pumpkin Pie from scratch
If you try this Sweetened Condensed Milk recipe leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #alsothecrumbsplease on Instagram! I MUST see what you made out of it!
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- Put sugar and milk in a medium-sized saucepan. Be sure that your saucepan isn't too small. It should be maximum 2/3 full.
- Cook it slowly on medium-low heat for about 1 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally. The first hour you just need to stir every 10 minutes. At the point your Sweetened Condensed Milk is getting thicker you should stir more and more frequently to prevent it from burning.
- Your Sweetened Condensed Milk is finished when it is only 1/3 and 1/2 of the volume in the first place and coats the back of a spoon.