Are you looking for the best cheeseburger recipe? If so, this blog post is for you! We'll go over everything from the best cheeses to use in your cheeseburger to the perfect toppings. All of these steps will ensure that the end result is a juicy and flavorful burger that everyone will be begging you to make again and again. That's true comfort food.
The meat is one of the most important parts of a good burger. You want to use high-quality ground beef that has at least 20 percent fat content in it. Don't go too lean with the meat as this will result in a dry beef patty. If you want to learn more about burger patties, check out my hamburger post, where I cover everything from recommended weight to size, which meat is the best, and how and when to season it. By the way, did you know you can also cook hamburgers in the air fryer?
Do you love cooking with ground beef? Then my ground beef recipes post is for you (31 recipes!).
Cheese is the ingredient that makes the difference between a hamburger and a cheeseburger. A burger with cheese is called a cheeseburger and without cheese hamburger. To make classic cheeseburgers, use either American cheese, cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese slices. Make sure you don't overdo it with the amount of cheese that you put on your burger. One slice per patty is perfect. You can use any other of your favorite cheeses, too, if you'd like.
You want to choose a soft and slightly sweet roll that will hold up well with the juices from the beef. Potato buns and brioche buns are wonderful, but you can use any other variety that suits your taste buds best. When it comes to sesame seeds, for a classic cheeseburger, I prefer buns with no sesame seeds. If you want to make cheeseburger sliders, you need my dinner rolls recipe!
What would a cheeseburger be without the perfect toppings? My favorite toppings are
- A special burger sauce (In-N-Out style)
- Lettuce - I prefer leafy green lettuce, but iceberg or butterhead (bibb) are great as well.
- Tomatoes - Choose large, juicy, and meaty tomatoes. Any type of beefsteak tomato works best in a burger.
- Raw onions - Large yellow onions are preferred for a classic cheeseburger, but white or red onions are also delicious.
- Pickles - I prefer dill pickles that are already sliced (sandwich pickles), but you can use any pickles you like.
If you aren't much of a fan of any of these toppings or don't go well with your other ingredients, feel free to leave them out.
Once you have perfected the traditional cheeseburger, try out some of these variations to create a delicious burger that is uniquely your own.
- Double Cheeseburger - Add 2 patties with cheese instead of 1 and keep everything else the same. That's my hubby's fav! Double beef and double cheese. Yum!
- Triple Cheeseburger - Add another patty with cheese. That's the holy grail for all beef and cheese lovers out there.
- Bacon Cheeseburger - Add 1 or 2 strips of bacon to your burger. Applewood smoked bacon is the best!
- Swap Sauces - Use ketchup, mayonnaise, or mustard if that's what you prefer. To make barbecue burgers, add a Kansas City-style barbecue sauce.
- Swap Toppings - Instead of raw onions, adding grilled onions is great. Another favorite in my family is to top cheeseburgers with grilled mushrooms.
Best side dishes
The best sides for this diner-style cheeseburger are French fries, chips, or onion rings. I also love having my burgers with coleslaw, sweet potato fries, and fried pickles!
The best way is to store all of the toppings and ingredients separately. Store raw or cooked meat patties in the refrigerator for 1 day or freeze them for up to 3 months. Then toast the buns and assemble the burgers just before serving. This makes for quick meals or when unexpected guests drop by unannounced and need to be fed immediately!
Photo tutorial (step-by-step)
Heat a grill pan over high heat and brush lightly with oil. Season the patties on one side and arrange with the seasoned side down in the pan. Cook for about 90 seconds until some juices release on top of the patties and the edges start turning grey. Season with salt and pepper and flip with a spatula.
Immediately place a slice of cheese on each patty and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for another 20-30 seconds. Then remove the patties from the pan.
In the same pan and without cleaning, toast the buns for about 1 minute until they are lightly toasted.
Put the burger together in this order: bun, sauce, lettuce, patty with cheese, tomato, onion, pickles, sauce, and bun. Yes, I add sauce twice for maximum flavor! Serve immediately.
Now you are well prepared to celebrate National Cheeseburger Day!
More comfort food to try
I hope this step-by-step guide has helped you make perfect restaurant-quality cheeseburgers! Please let me know by leaving a review. Thank you very much!
Recipe and Video
The Best Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 burger buns
- 6 tablespoon burger sauce
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 4 slices of tomato
- 4 slices of raw onion
- 8 slices of dill pickles
- Before you begin, make sure that all of your toppings are prepared. Then place a plate in the oven and preheat the oven to 200 ° F (93 ° C) for 5 minutes. Then switch off and keep the door closed.
- Meanwhile, divide the meat into 4 equal portions and shape them into thin patties that are about 1-inch (2.5cm) wider than the buns you are using.*
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and brush lightly with oil.
- Season the patties on one side and arrange with the seasoned side down in the pan. Cook for about 90 seconds until some juices release on top of the patties and the edges start turning grey. Season with salt and pepper and flip with a spatula.
- Immediately place a slice of cheese on each patty and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for another 20-30 seconds. Remove the patties from the pan and place them on the preheated plate in the oven.
- In the same pan and without cleaning, toast the buns for about 1 minute until they are lightly toasted.
- Assemble the burgers in this order: bun, sauce, lettuce, patty with cheese, tomato, onion, pickles, sauce, and bun. Serve immediately with your favorite side dishes such as french fries or onion rings.